Need Help !!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaksheep67

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and new to " doing it myself " I just moved into a condo with my fiance and I am slowly but surely becoming a spackling expert :D . I am attempting to install a pendant lamp in my dining room and need some help figuring out the wiring. The wires that are hanging from the ceiling are as follows : Two (2) red wires twisted together and capped, Two (2) black wires twisted together and capped, Two (2) white wires that are not "twisted" together at the ends. There is also the ground wire (bare thick copper wire that is not attached to anything, it is just twirled around at the top. My question is which of these wires do I use when installing the lamp ?

Thanks in advance !!

I did a little browsing and I now know that I have a three way switch, There is a light switch next to the entrance door and a switch next to the kitchen entrance that operate the same light, I hope that helps you to help me.

I gotta say, that is a mess! There are no connectors and the ground is attached by a drywall screw.

If this were mine, and I did know much about these things, I'd call in a pro to fix that mess and check everything else.
If that one box is that bad I'd be suspect of the rest.

It looks like they have this box in the middle of the 3-way. How was the old fixture wired??????

It looks like they used the white as the neutral (correct) and the other white (with the tape, NOT correct but will work) as the switched hot.

I did not take it apart. We asked the Superintendent to put in two lamps for us. The box for the first lamp was crooked because it was only secured on one side , there was nothing on the other side (wood beam) to secure it to (I figured it out on my own) I told him I didn't want the lamp hanging off lopsided. The other lamp has steel rods so that you can adjust the height,he didn't install it because I wasn't sure How high or low my fiance would want the lamp to hang over the dining room table. I can attach the ground wires to the new ground screw of the new fixture, I just need to know which wires (black/red) do I attach to the lamps hot wire and if I should twist the two white wires together and attach them to the neutral wire. I also need to know what should I do with the extra wires (just leave them hanging) ? Thanks again. :confused:

I know what you "just" need to know. But seeing that box I feel compelled to tell you it is not safe.
I guess that does not matter. As long as it works, right? :rolleyes:

To answer what you just need to know:
It looks like they used the white as the neutral (correct) and the other white (with the tape, NOT correct but will work) as the switched hot.
Leave the blacks and reds alone.

Speedy - Is it really THAT bad? I do not see cable clamps and I do not see the fancy ground screw, yes. It looks as though someone at least labeled the hot white wire. That is correct in many situations as I understand. Maybe we are not seeing cable clamps in the picture but they are there? Maybe, yea, not likely though.

To the OP - On new fixture - Black to white with tape, white to white, ground to ground. Leave wirenutted connections as is and tuck into box. Assuming all connections in switch and box are correct.

Speedy - Is it really THAT bad?
Yeah, it really is.

A "fancy" ground screw is the way to go. If you're doing this stuff you should have (or get) what you need.
A drywall screw just about as good as no screw at all.

NM connectors are about $.29 a piece. ABSOLUTELY NO reason/excuse to leave them out!!

Back