Difference between "baseboards" and "moulding"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panzerfaust0

Reaction score
newbie question. What is the difference between baseboards and moulding?

thanks

A molding trims out around a door, window and is usually smaller dimension material. A base board runs along the area where the wall meets the floor.

A molding trims out around a door, window and is usually smaller dimension material. A base board runs along the area where the wall meets the floor.
thanks for the reply, and not to disagree with you but i thought that thing that trims out around a door is called a door casing?

A door casing is a type of molding, so is baseboard.

i see. so a baseboard IS a moulding. but a more specific type of it.

so when people say "moulding", are they referring to the part that's in between the ceiling and the wall? sorry i just really want to know what "moulding" specifically refers to.

between ceiling and wall is know as Crown moulding.
Moulding is a generic term.

so when people say "moulding", are they referring to the part that's in between the ceiling and the wall? sorry i just really want to know what "moulding" specifically refers to.

Moulding is a general term. When "people" say moulding, it depends on who you are talking to as to what they mean. I think most folks who know nothing about it probably mean crown molding and sometimes door casings... Kinda like saying "get me a soda" when you mean "Get me a Coke".

Last edited:
The outside edge of casing is usually eased or rounded over. The bottom edge of base is usually square, so it sits down tight to hard surface flooring.

Latest posts

Back