Rigid Foam Panels Under Drywall Ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYCdb

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start hanging drywall on the ceilings (ceilings were previously acoustic tile stapled to ferring strips) in my project house and one of the issues that I've run into is that the with the strips removed I'm going to have about a half inch gap between the top of the drywall on the walls and on the ceiling and I was wondering if it would make sense to install some half inch foam board to close that gap rather than having to mud up the gap or cover with trim. Has anyone tried this?

Tape the joints with red TUCK TAPE and that is your vapour barrier, and drywall screws come in all length. Ceiling drywall should be 5/8" thick.

install crown moulding after you get the ceiling installed.

Tape with the fiberglass mesh tape and apply with a corner trowel which will create a pocket, and, backing for the drywall compound.

Tape with the fiberglass mesh tape and apply with a corner trowel which will create a pocket, and, backing for the drywall compound.

install crown moulding after you get the ceiling installed.

I think I'm going to try Snoonyb's method first and then kok328's if it doesn't look great.

Maybe I don’t understand your problem, but I would run my sheets tight to the ceiling and leave any gaps at the floor.

Your application skills will determine the results.

While crown will add an aesthetic dimension, It's important to prevent any drafts.

Back