How to mount gutter when there's no fascia?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd-Beaulieu

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying a small DYI project on our new, very old home. We have a small porch in front of an office addition on the side of the house. The porch has taken a real beating from the runoff, as there is no gutter on that section. I purchased a 10' section of aluminum gutter, along with all the other bits, but immediately ran into a road block (of course). There is no fascia board. Should I mention that I had to look that term up? :)

I've attached 2 pictures: as it stands and one with my idea.

I'm thinking of mounting a 2x3 along the bottom (grey board) of the rafters. Then mount a primed fascia "board" (1x6?). I think the 2x3, combined with the tiny bit of rafter end will provide about 1 3/4" + 1" of surface area that I can screw the fascia into. Not huge, but for a 10' section I think that will be good enough. I suppose I could also throw some kinf of bracket onto the the back, too...

I've seen some custom metal fascias online. I really wanted to do this myself, though. I doubt something like that can be purchased.

Oh, and do I need to install a soffit? If so, just a solid piece of wood? Or some kind of "vent"?

Thanks!

Missing Fascia.png

Missing Fascia plan.png

Hey there, soffits are good they clean up the house, you don't have to install a soffit. from the pics it looks like you have a drip edge from the roof down, you need to get the gutter material under that so that the the drip edge is in the gutter. Hope this will help.

Thank you. It didn't occur to me that I could get away with just hanging the gutter in space. I went ahead and created a fascia. It was a lot of work and I made more than a couple of mistakes, but I did the best I could. Old lumber dimensions don't match current! Oh well. So now I just want a little rain so I can sit out front and admire my handywork! :)

By just adding a fashia it looks like you may have water running down behind the gutter and fasia.
A simple fix is to use coil stock that slips in under the starter strip of shingles
And bend it at about a 45% angle laying in the gutteres.
If you had of used vinyl lumber to make that fasia there would be 0 painting in the future.

Back