Need to cut bushes in half, questions.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sreno0207

Reaction score
I have a few rather large evergreen bushes in front of my house. I really hate them but its not in the cards right now to completely remove and replace. Is there any thing I should do to them if I want to half their height? Or do I just go to town once warmer weather sets in? They are rather large and give my hives when I touch them. This is not going to be fun!

I also itch after I trim them. the thing to do is cover yourself well and wear gloves, I think the best time to do it is in the winter when you are fully covered, not much chance of making contact. I would also saw it as close to the ground as you can get, if your going to get rid of them anyway, why bother only cutting them half way ?

I am only cutting them half way so I don't have to re- landscape the front of my house yet.

If you follow the rules of Apical Dominance you won't have to cut them very often.

By cutting them in half you will be sawing/cutting through the main trunk of the bush. My (uninformed) guess is that in the years following you will have multiple new growths from around that cut end projecting upward. You can then trim them gently to get the the top to round/fill out (but it will look like crap in the interim). You may want to make your initial cut even lower down to account for the height the new shoots will give you.

Furthermore, by cutting/pruning the top the bush will also get wider/bushier at the bottom (Apical Dominance). Likewise, apical dominance will cause the new shoots extending upward to get bushier as well.

Back