Intermittent Septic Smell

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcayhill

Reaction score
I am having intermittent septic odor outside the house that seems to happen only when using the washer. The odor is only noticed outside when the wind is blowing over the house. The odor seems to last about a day or two the goes away. I have inspected my leach field several times and can not find any wet spots or odors, everything seems to be leaching fine. We had the tank pumped and inspected about 2 months ago as we normally do every 2 to 3 years. The tank was fine at the time, no cracks, leaks, and both intake and output baffles in place. I even checked the tank myself after it was pumped. Everything appears fine in the house, no drain problems, and no odors. We have 4 people taking showers and a dishwasher that a dishwasher that gets used regularly. But the odor only seems to happen after using the washer.

I have not been up on the roof but it appears the odor is coming out of a roof vent when the wind is blowing in the right direction. We have lived in this house for over 13 years and this is the first time we have had this problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Latest posts

Back