New Patio Doors.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hack

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a LONG time, but I've got more projects completed, and have a few that I can show.

After I built the wine cellar, we wanted to add a new patio door into the basement to make it a more "inviting" room. I wanted to get this done before we had the exterior of the house painted (which started yesterday).

There was a 40" window in the space. It's the window on the lower level of the house (this was taken when the deck was being rebuilt):
129_2975.jpg

I removed the window, framed out the inside of the wall to fit this "new" door.
IMG_4558.jpg

Here's the "new" door. We got this at a salvage yard. It's 48" wide and 80" tall.
IMG_4562.jpg

Installed Doors. They swing out, which is fine with me. I have some more trim work to do, but should be done soon...

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

Welcome back.:)
Nice lookin job there. I did notice there was no visible flashing at the deck, how did that work?
Don't mind me, I play a home inspector on TV.:D

There are times that I have double flashing and what I mean by this is the first piece is behind band board but don't use coil as it doesn't jive with treated wood so I use ice and water shield and goes up under siding or what ever is on top, the second piece goes under siding and lies on top of joist and comes out 8", and I do use coil stock for this, so that the water that runs down siding drips 8" away from house. Just had to add , but like inspector said I don't see any either. Nice looking Job putting door in makes room feel more roomy.

Joe~~

There's no flashing between the house and deck. There IS a 1" gap with blocking that is required by code. It has rained quite a bit since the deck was built, and the wall underneath for the most part stays dry.

Back