pipe sound proofing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgoblue24

Reaction score
I just completed my basement, in one of my closets is my pipe that runs to our bathrooms. While whenever someone goes to the bathroom and you are in the basement you hear the water rushing through this pipe. Does anyone know of a product that I can use to help deaden the sound of the water in this pipe. I thought of sound proofing the closet but that wouldn't work with the bifold door I put in.

Ideally, the best bet would be to use a more massive pipe. The less massive the pipe, the more it will move in response to water flow through it, and that means the more noise it will make.

Is it possible to replace that plastic pipe with a cast iron pipe?

If that's not feasible, then phone around to the HVAC contractors and find out who sells pipe insulation in town. Use pipe hangers to hold the pipe steady in various places and install pipe insulation between the pipe hangers.

Last edited:
Cast iron is the best for sound but if that is not a option and you have a door that opens to the closet this may be an option.

1. Wrap the pipe with insulation

2. Build a small wooden frame around for nailers

3. install sound board and then quite rock on the frame

4. tape and paint

This would do it but maybe more work than it's worth.

Good Luck

Back