Can anyone identify this thing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedbump

Water well etc.
Reaction score
It's said to be between 2.5' and 3'. Found in a back yard.

castiron.jpg

Is it attached to anything?
Is it the shut off for the water or gas main?

Looks like an old farm tractor hub. And it looks like it is only about a foot in diameter at the most. Who measured this thing?

I'd say tractor parts is a good guess...

Never saw anything like it used in plumbing...

Who measured this thing?
A lady emailed me with the picture and said some people on another forum thought it was a pump part. Close but no cigar. She apparently measured it, and you know how us guys lie about measurements; so...

I was hoping she would pop in here and answer some of the questions everyone is asking. I sent her links to four Forums where I posted it. Maybe she will show up yet.

To me, it also looks like a part of a tractor i got this picture, these are the parts of a tractor take a look over it and see if it is one of them
cast-iron-tractor-parts-736861-500x500.jpg

Those all look like gears and splined shafts. Someone from another Forum said it looked like a tractor counter weight. That's a possibility. She posted another picture that shows it standing up with a tape measure on it. I'll post that here.

gardenthing1.jpg

Lets see if I can make it larger somehow. I guess I downloaded a thumbnail.

gardenthing1.jpg

Those all look like gears and splined shafts. Someone from another Forum said it looked like a tractor counter weight. That's a possibility. She posted another picture that shows it standing up with a tape measure on it. I'll post that here.

Well, i think you are right, i just googled off with "Tractor counter weight" and i got these images they all looks like the thing you posted in here, take a look over it hope i am not wrong again... :D

cast_iron_counter_weight_for_tractor.summ.jpg

China_tractor_counterweight200911301108560.JPG

counterweight-ct-7336b459.png

My guess is road grader, the part above the plow center of grader.
That's an interesting idea. I can't picture one in my mind, it's been a long time since I was standing that close to a Road Grader. Do you have an image?

Well, i think you are right, i just googled off with "Tractor counter weight" and i got these images they all looks like the thing you posted in here, take a look over it hope i am not wrong again...
That doesn't look like it either. Did you enlarge the last image I posted? It shows it with a tape measure on top.

That's an interesting idea. I can't picture one in my mind, it's been a long time since I was standing that close to a Road Grader. Do you have an image?

That doesn't look like it either. Did you enlarge the last image I posted? It shows it with a tape measure on top.

OoOps, i am sorry, i didn't enlarged that image and if had done that i wouldn't post other pics, well after enlarging i come to know how actually it does look like so obviously i am wrong, well i am still wondering what it is, so when you find it out don't forget to tell everybody over here... :D

I went looking everywhere I could think of and found nothing that really came close to this, now I'm thinking maybe a spacer behind the water pump on a very large engine.
It would be nice if we could read the foundry markings that are covered with dirt.
Maybe this is the peice the alien ufo's are looking for.

Maybe this is the peice the alien ufo's are looking for.

If they find it, I hope they will tell us what it is before blasting off again.

I tried the four numbers on the right side. 8A80 I believe. Didn't come up with anything. Can't read the others. Maybe she can clean them off and tell us what they are.

Your right, if I stare at it long enough and squint it becomes a 23A8 instead of 28A8. But then again...

The trick is to move the picture to my pictures so you can inlarge and rotate it but we need the stuff, I wonder what the other side looks like.

I thinks it is a wheel weight off a tractor...
They sure have enough different types of them and they all look kinda close...

attachment.php

Weights_000.JPG

I agree,
Alien part? Probly not , looks like it was made in the USA.:usa:

I think you have it Redwood. That's the best resemblance I've seen so far. I don't know who the lady got to lift that up for her, but I agree, turning it over might help a bit.

Latest posts

Back