Transplating shrubs.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I have 2 raspberry bushes and 1 cherry bush. They are about 2 feet high.

How can I move them with minimizing harm?
What time of year should they be moved?

I live in Northern Ontario.

Fall is a good time but if they are that small you should be able to get most of the root ball and should be fine. I try and get everything out to the drip line when I can.

What is a cherry bush?

Fall is a good time but if they are that small you should be able to get most of the root ball and should be fine. I try and get everything out to the drip line when I can.

What is a cherry bush?

It is a small bush bearing cherries. I will take a picture to show.

I always try to move plants in the spring to give the roots more time before winter, but the people that plant things around new houses do it all year and mostly successful.

I think they are a grafted thing at least that’s how they do the dwarf and semi dwarf fruit trees. On those the tree won’t grow larger than the root stalk will allow, but if you plant one too deep and get the graft below the soil the tree will turn into a full size tree.

In the future with all the genetic stuff they can do who knows what we will be seeing. Maybe we will grow bananas in Pennsylvania. I did a search on cherry bushes and there are a few people selling them. They made corn that is roundup ready so I’m sure they can make anything.

I think they are a grafted thing at least that’s how they do the dwarf and semi dwarf fruit trees. On those the tree won’t grow larger than the root stalk will allow, but if you plant one too deep and get the graft below the soil the tree will turn into a full size tree.

In the future with all the genetic stuff they can do who knows what we will be seeing. Maybe we will grow bananas in Pennsylvania. I did a search on cherry bushes and there are a few people selling them. They made corn that is roundup ready so I’m sure they can make anything.

I think they are used for hedges in Florida.

I have had the best luck transplanting before or during winter. In the warmer climate this gives the plant time to get roots better established before the hot season. I think in freezing climates it is pretty much the opposite.

Back