Ideas? - Exterior Safety Lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockrz

Reaction score
OK, so I like the idea of having some lights on at night on each side of the house. Currently, I have to manually turn on one light by the front door and two lights by each back door on the back of the house.

What I'd like to do, and let me know if I'm being weird, is have two light fixtures on the back, one on each gable end and two in the front (add one to light up drive way)... and have these all wired separately to one circuit so they can be put on a timer to come one and off automatically... and, I'd like for them to be on a battery back up in case the power goes off the exterior of the house will be lit at night for security.

And, the ones on the gable ends do not need to be very bright as to not be a problem for the neighbors.

I hear they have decent LED light fixtures now... does anybody know where I can find some that are made for exterior use? I figure LEDs should use less juice.

And, for the battery back up... I'm assuming this needs to be inside the house so it doesn't get overly warm in the summer? Or, do they have things like this designed to be out in the garage which would be more convenient as I have a nice little corner I'd like to run all the wiring to for this.

Also, any suggestions on where to find a good timer? I was hoping to simply plug it in to a wall outlet.

Any suggestions and ideas on where to find equipment for this as well as thoughts from those in the know on stuff like this would be appreciated...

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the links!

Any idea on a good source for timers?

Look into photo cell switches, they adjust to longer and shorter days, timers are a pain.

I want the lights to come on and stay on all night, so I wouldn't want motion sensors, and I've experienced those electronic eyes that are supposed to make the lights come on at night and they seem to go out occasionally.

Surely with today's technology there are some good in line timers that are available out there aren't there?

Back