Will the wood of this overhead rot if it is not painted?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellbound

Reaction score
Does this overhead need to be painted? Will the wood rot if it is not painted?

Thanks.

overhead.jpg

Depends on what type of wood it is.
However, if it's already painted as it appears, a coat of primer and outdoor paint certainly won't hurt it.

It could possibly rot, but who knows. It looks like it needs to be painted

Definitely needs paint. But only after a lot of proper surface preparation (as in removing any/all loose or potentially loose existing paint). Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

1. What happens if all the paint is not sanded off before new paint is applied? Will the paint just come off?

What in the world is it?
If that was suppost to be some kind of pergala, the boards are way to close together and will be near imposible to sand and paint properly, there also way undersized.
If there pressure treated paints not going to stay stuck to them. It should have been allowed to dry out then soild stained not painted.
Any job is 90% prep work for good results. There is no magic wand or "special coating" to cover up peeling up paint.

If it is cedar it should not be painted , cedar will last if it can dry out. That may be a solid color stain that is on it.

...looks like a fiberglass cover(upper left in picture) either has been covering the wood or is planned to be used to cover the wood. If this cover is used might get by w/o painting the top for a while. Scraping looks to be challenging. Maybe a good coat of sherwin- williams duration high gloss might bide some time, especially if covered w/ the panels.

Or just plant trailing plants that will entwine all throughout the structure and go as long as you can w/ the natural look. Knowing one day all will have to be torn down and replaced eventually. That might bide you 10+ years.

What in the world is it?
If that was suppost to be some kind of pergala, the boards are way to close together and will be near imposible to sand and paint properly, there also way undersized.
If there pressure treated paints not going to stay stuck to them. It should have been allowed to dry out then soild stained not painted.
Any job is 90% prep work for good results. There is no magic wand or "special coating" to cover up peeling up paint.

What do you mean by the boards are "undersized" undersized how? This was painted somewhere around 6-7 yrs ago. Does this look like it should after that period of time in the sun OR was it likely not sanded and prepped properly last time?

Thanks.

I'm also entertaining the idea of putting some type of cover over it to provide shade during summer and when it rains. If I did this, I am guessing I also wouldn't have to worry about painting it? Anyone have any suggestions for any types of materials that can be use to go on top of it to provide the coverage I described?

Thanks!

Can't tell by the photo if this has a slope or not and if and how it is tied to the house. You wouldn't want water sitting against the house.

It is flat. With that said, what options if any would I have for doing this?

Thanks.

polycarbonate sheeting; maybe
You might want to lower the legs on one side or end to give it a slope and flashing against the house would be important.

Short answer is yes it is wood and will rot without maintaining it.

I would give it a light pressure was with a wash solution and scrape off the failing paint, prime and topcoat with a quality exterior finish.

Sun light breaks down the lignin in the wood. That is the natural glue that binds the wood fibers together.
If you prime and paint without cleaning off the ruined wood then it is like painting over talcum powder. It just will not stick for long.

This type of pergola is very common here in CA. It is usually 2x2 cedar that is designed as a sun screen with the 2x2 being so close together.

Andy.

Back