Eliminating Drywall Ceiling In Attached Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, suit yourself. But your missin out. :eek:

So how would I solve the fire break issue? That's a pretty important detail, methinks. I mean, I don't have a habit of burning bonfires in the garage, but who knows what could happen. Plus, I do eventually want to sell this house (probably not for 10 years yet) and I know it won't sell (nor should it) if there's a serious safety issue there.

I don't think you have a problem here. you will need the fire stop wall all the way up to the roof. The 2x10s are heavy duty but probably span 16 ft or more so they are close to there weight load limit.When you remove the drywall you will need a couple 1x4s or what have to tie all the 2 x 10s in place, like a catwalk. The garage will get hotter not cooler.
The lack of insulation in ceiling and walls is why it is hot. without the drywall it will be a common hot space.

How 'bout an update on this project? Did you rip out the sheet rock? Can you post pictures?

Nope. :( Haven't done anything with it. I'll just bear the heat this summer. Maybe get a shop fan.

I'm putting the house up for sale next March, so I'm focusing on doing other upgrades and repairs around the house, like fixing bad siding, remodeling the master bath, remodeling the kitchen, etc. I don't want to spend money I wont get back. You know? If I were staying here another 5 years or something, I'd likely mess with the garage ventilation.

Shane,
Did you end of removing the ceiling? I have the same exact situation you have and I am considering doing it. The point made about the fire thing concerns me but while I have pest control for my house, my main concern is getting bugs living up in the open studs which as of today, is limited by the existing drywall ceiling. Let me know. I need arguments to convince my wife.
She is concerned it will lower the value of our home.

Alejogb, you really need to go back and add your own post.
Way to confusing trying to keep all the reply's straight.

Back