Getting rid of mosquitos

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out and got the bottles today. Will be finishing off three liters of soda before night fall then putting this together.

I went out and got the bottles today. Will be finishing off three liters of soda before night fall then putting this together.

I hope you stay near a bathroom finishing off three liters of soda :)

It was an interesting night, but I didn't catch anything but moths. I'm going to pour it out and look at it closer, but it appears this may just not work.

I caught some more moths, that's about it.

I do. I smash them daily.

Still no luck with these traps. I'm trying something else tonight.

The wife insist I'm doing it wrong. She found an alternate recipe we are trying to night. If she catches some I'll never hear the end of it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPUmsMIuAK4[/ame]
You could probably make these look good

I'll try that tonight as I already have the supplies.

You wouldn't want to use the bucket she uses to bring water up from the crick?
What exactly do you use a good bucket for?

Anyone come across any effective techniques for getting rid of or controlling mosquitos?

It depends on how large of an area you are trying to control and what environment the area is close to. I never hire exterminators so I do all of my own pest control. I live by a creek so there are plenty of stagnate water pools for the mosquito eggs to hatch in. I have to use more heavy duty pesticides over more area because they are everywhere lol. If I were you I would go check out this Mosquito Control page. They have information at the bottom on how to effectively deal with mosquitoes and figure out what solution is best for you. I hope this helps!

Cheers! :beer:

@ Austin, drew, oldog, and neal ... I think that original trap will work ... try using brewer's yeast in it. Mosquitoes' eyesight isn't all that good - they find their prey by the CO2 that we give off as we breathe. As yeast feed on sugar water, they give off CO2 (I homebrew beer; when bottling the finished homebrew a little sugar is added which kicks the yeast back into action. This is what carbonates the beer in the bottle). Probably more information than you were looking for, but the simple thing that makes it work is: water+sugar+yeast=fermentation= CO2; which attracts the little buggers and they should get stuck in the foam (if you don't have any foam on top of the water, then it's not fermenting). Yeast work best at 65 - 75 degrees; above that kills them, so don't put in direct sunlight.

That sound really good if you want to catch mosquitos.
Have you noticed that there is not much comedy when some one tells you they built something and it worked the first time.
:p

You wouldn't want to use the bucket she uses to bring water up from the crick?
What exactly do you use a good bucket for?

Mopping and house hold chores.

Mopping and house hold chores.

Well, if you buy a new bucket, won't that be the good bucket? Then you will need to use the old bucket that is now the good bucket. I don't know, this whole mosquito removal is getting very confusing to this old dog...:eek:

But, at least we get beer outtta the deal...

Back