Pulling up vinyl tile and luan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
The kitchen and bathrooms in my house have vinyl tile with luan underlayment. I have pulled it up in the upstairs bathroom, when I gutted the entire upstairs. The luan is glued and nailed to OSB subfloor, and the tile is glued to the luan. It was a complete nightmare, even in a small bathroom, but I had to do it in order to install ceramic tile. Needless to say, it left the OSB a bit chopped up.

I am about to put down glue down cork tile in the downstairs bathroom (much bigger), and I'm wondering if I have to go through that again. Would the cork tile adhesive bond properly to the vinyl tile, or would it result in a sub par job? I am a believer in doing things right, but if I can avoid pulling that up, I intend on doing so.

I hate to ask a question about cutting corners, but I'd like to know if this would cause me problems, aside from the floor being ~1/4" higher. I am putting in a new tub, so I can address any height problem where the floor hits the tub.

Last edited:
If there's a chance it won't work, I'd rather not. However, if someone has done something like this before with no issues, I might. My third option may be to put down a 1/4" underlayment over the vinyl, but at that point, I'm afraid I'd be building the floor up a bit too much.

Back