Enlarging Garage opening

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickyhow

Reaction score
I currently have three car garage with each door openning being 8 x 7. I would to like go to 1- 16 X 7 and 1 8 x7 garage openning. The homes is concrete block construction. Is it possible to do this and will it be expensive. I

RickyHow in Florida

There are other postings about this. The answer was to have an engineer figure out the load and req. the size and type of beam and how to support it. Suggestion you get here concerning engineering are worth what you pay for them.

not expensive at all,,, you can probably find a contractor on craig's list that can knock down the supporting center column & replace the lintel carrying beam for under $1K,,, whether his work's good OR who got the permit OR who-to-call-when-it-falls-down OR who-to-sue OR why-is-the-town-suing-me are separate points,,, btw, insurance companies usually wash their hands & deny claims when work's done outside of clear legal means ( permits, insurances, & licensed contractors ) :clap:

Back