The NRA Weighs in on the NFL

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you try the camo part while in the city people and dogs will pee on you

You guys with guns that have friends with guns. Would you notice a friend changing and what would it take to get him help.
I would think you would consider loosing a friend and even worse, what if you were wrong. Would you loose a bunch of friends.

Or would it just be easier to say, me and all my friends are straight up guys nothing to think about.

I don't have many friends but if for a minute I thought one of my friends could do something dangerous I would have no problem doing my part to make sure that doesn't happen. I lose friends rather quickly because I don't put up with crap.

I don't have many friends but if for a minute I thought one of my friends could do something dangerous I would have no problem doing my part to make sure that doesn't happen. I lose friends rather quickly because I don't put up with crap.

I think that would be tough for most people that have been friends for years.

You guys with guns that have friends with guns. Would you notice a friend changing and what would it take to get him help.
I would think you would consider loosing a friend and even worse, what if you were wrong. Would you loose a bunch of friends.

Or would it just be easier to say, me and all my friends are straight up guys nothing to think about.

I have a very good friend that is going through a very rough time
had a stroke
the gun club went to his house and removed his firearms.
for his protection, we love the old bastid enough to protect him
we sat him down and explained we were there because we care
when he recovered they would be at the club house in a safe
he agreed it would be the best all around
maybe you would like to buy one of his books
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006FAL94/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006RCBYA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

It is all about safety, I hang out with 30 guys that all shoot
we have rules that we adhere to
wear your ears
eye protection
no alcohol or drugs
the only person who has shot anyone by accident was the gun smith
shot himself in the leg taking apart a gun his dumbass did not clear
he was very embarrassed, and we ragged him for a good 6 months

Here's my more serious theory on mass shootings (although it's also one I just made up). And actually this is generalizable to other types of crime, terrorism, etc. Maybe all behavior.

Very few people are inventive enough to come up with a new thing to do, or a new way of doing something--especially if it involves more than 3 or 4 steps. For most people, the stuff we do is stuff we saw other people do. It's a model that we got from somewhere else. This is true for everything from tying your shoes to fixing your A/C unit.

The "mass shooting" probably became a model for most people in 1966 when that guy in Texas shot 14 people from a tower. The public recoiled from that, cops learned to look out for it, and for a while it remained a pretty rare thing. Also, when one did happen, there were just a handful of TV stations, and they had news programs; they weren't news all the time. (Same goes for radio, I believe, though I'm not sure.) Those news programs often didn't have live feeds, they didn't have correspondents all over the place, they didn't have flashy graphics, etc.

(By the way, this is not me being sentimental about journalism. I think journalism is a bogus field and that the only thing that separates a journalist from any other kind of writer or media person is that a journalist pretends to be an impartial authority on everything. But journalism is actually a lot less overtly biased and sensational now than it used to be. If you don't believe me, look up New York Times articles from 100 years ago.)

As information started to move faster--first with video, then with cable, then with internet--models started spreading faster too. If I'm a wacko in 1967 and I want to commit mass murder, what models are available to me? Well, I know about that one guy last year who shot those people from a tower...but he was just one guy, and he must have been a really amazing shot to pull off something like that, and the cops are all looking out for that now anyway. Maybe I'll just go shoot a dog or something, that sounds easier.

But if I want to commit mass murder half a century later in 2017, I know about mass shootings (everything from Columbine to the Paris nightclub), I know about running into crowds of people with a truck, I know about bombing buses, etc. etc. and I've even watched actual footage of all these on Youtube over and over again.

The distance between "I want to commit mass murder" and "What models can I use to determine how I will do it" has been drastically reduced by the ubiquity of cameras, 24-hour news, the internet, and things like that.

As I've mentioned, I don't watch TV and I avoid the news and social media. One of the reasons I do that is because I see it has this kind of effect. The news channels social media feeds that go on and on endlessly every time a mass shooting like this happens are, in my opinion, helping ensure the next one happens too. They have no incentive not to, so I put my foot down and say I have an incentive not to include it as part of my life.

Last edited:
I really do think that one of the problems is not even the guns or gun control, but it's the attitudes people have.
The priorities and role models of today are different. I saw a meme about a little boy who is in medical school or already graduated or something like that and hardly anyone knows about him, but there is some bratty girl who appeared on some TV program (I think something like Dr. Phil) and she has thousands of "followers". The girl breaks the law, does drugs, and is generally what some would call a piece of trash.
Instead of valuing people who are intelligent, talented, and actually contribute to the world, there is some twisted obsession with the seedier side of life and people are looking to "reality" TV "stars" for role models. When you have someone like Chris Kardashian who openly exploits her daughters, people who just have a bunch of kids, people who do drugs, etc and those are the ones being featured on TV, it is not sending the right message. It's saying that if you do something bad, you will be remembered and have instant fame. Which brings me to another point, the focus on being popular and famous. I realize that the desire for that sort of external validation is sometimes just an innate personality trait, but the media today has greatly exaggerated it and makes a bigger deal about it. When people care more about what is popular than what is right, then we have a problem.
In order to stop mass killings, we would need to change the cultural attitude-- and that will be no easy task. But, it would be nice if we could start with the media and get them to be a little more responsible. They absolutely do deliberately stir crap and focus more on the negative than they do on the positive.

And now I have to go to the DMV to renew my driver's license. Be back later.

couple of years back i was studying the mass shootings,
i looked at all the mass shootings in the last 2 year period to see what gun was used in each incident.
this is when i found something i had not been looking for
antidepressants, all of the mass shootings shooters were on antidepressants and or under a dr care for depression
this included the teenage shooters
it is my opinion, that dr. need to stop handing out antidepressants like candy
the side effects include suicidal tendencies

oh, btw, the original reason for the study was to see how many mass shootings involved the ar 15
according to media it is used in every mass shooting.
that is a false hood, a semiauto hand gun was used in 99 percent of the shootings and a ar was used in less than half

couple of years back i was studying the mass shootings,
i looked at all the mass shootings in the last 2 year period to see what gun was used in each incident.
this is when i found something i had not been looking for
antidepressants, all of the mass shootings shooters were on antidepressants and or under a dr care for depression
this included the teenage shooters
it is my opinion, that dr. need to stop handing out antidepressants like candy
the side effects include suicidal tendencies

oh, btw, the original reason for the study was to see how many mass shootings involved the ar 15
according to media it is used in every mass shooting.
that is a false hood, a semiauto hand gun was used in 99 percent of the shootings and a ar was used in less than half
While there may be a correlation between antidepressants and the killings, the medicines themselves might not be the cause. The depression itself could be the factor. They just might not be on the right amount or type of antidepressants. Some of them may have stopped taking them due to side effects. If someone has a chemical imbalance causing severe depression and suicidal ideations, it can be difficult to treat. A lot of the times there is insufficient sarotonin, but that can't always be accurately measured and there is still so much that we don't know about how the brain works and about what the drugs can do. In many cases, the antidepressants can help-- unfortunately, each person has unique chemistry and what works for one person doesn't work for another. For instance: Valium will usually calm people and help them relax-- in my case, it makes me highly agitated and jittery. Vicodin makes my brother-in-law very happy and mellow-- it does absolutely nothing for me (doesn't even relieve pain). There is no guarantee that the medicines will help. I have some friends with clinical depression who are finding the antidepressants helpful. The key is getting the right mix and then hoping they don't get diminished returns from staying on it for too long. And then some meds (usually antipsychotics) can cause tardive dyskenisia after longtime use.

That said, I do think there are some meds that get pushed very hard by big pharma and doctors are often treating symptoms instead of trying to find a solution to the root cause-- partially because pharmaceutical companies make more $ if people become dependent on their products and because people don't want to be in pain, they will pay through the nose for meds.

From everything I've heard about this last killing, the shooter seemed to be in good mental health (at least outwardly). It's possible he just got fed up with people.

Also, I am interested in the research/info you found on the mass shootings. I've heard there were a lot of them. I'm wondering how many involved AR15s, how many of the guns used were obtained/owned legally, and that sort of thing.

Back