Need advice on the best way to handle this please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have access but it's a death trap it's right above the basement stairs . I would have to set a ladder on the stairs and I have a funny feeling the vent was just for show it's wired and I have the breaker shut off it started smoking the first time I used it .

The fan not working, may be the best news. You will have to find a safe way to get up there and have a look at the structure and if you get up there don't forget the camera. Your best bet is to talk to the local truss company. Take a few photos of the house and measure everything that you can see before you talk to them, then they will send you home to measure some more. They should be able to give you trusses that sit on the two wall and put very little weight on the old roof. Don't forget to tell them you want to raise the walls at the same time. My first thought was you could run it to the peak but that won't work with the other roof so you will need pictures of the inside of that roof too.

Thank you and that's what I had in mind in the last picture also

Will I have to redesign my valley with the dining room roof at all ? Sorry for the questions I just want to make sure the water flows right

A truss company would design a valley set to run up that roof too and correct the valley to run properly.

Thank you nealtw I'll post up pictures as I go along talked with the man that is carrying my loan and he said go for it as long as it's done right that's all he cares about ,

Take some more photo for them from different angles so they get an idea of what you want. The will need to know the height difference from the dinning room walls and walls supporting the rear main roof. They will ask for the heel cut on each roof, you get that when you look at the rafters from the outside. If you put your tape up the outside of the wall it is the distance from the top of the wall to the underside of the sheeting. They will need the width of the fron door area aswell as the bathroom and the length of both and the pitch of both roofs and they will want you to raise the wall for door area as well.
It sounds like a big deal but a weekend with a helper should have it ready for a roofer.
I would leave ceilings in place and do that work later when you want to gut the bathroom. And you still have to get up in the attic and check for rot and things. If it is just bracing that is needed you could do that at the same time by cutting out some sheeting where it will be covered with the new trusses.

On the heal cut how much should I add for my siding ? Behind the siding is foam board looks 1/4 inch to me I just can't get my tape all the way to the studs I got ya your talking up and down not rafter overhang . I'm hoping I can do this for less than three grand but I doubt it

Last edited:
Just measure the outside and tell the the thickness to the studs as best you can. I would be surprized if three didn't get you close and if you do the labour. It's the unknown that will kill you every time.

Well you can say that again Neal been there done that . I was talking with the guy I got the house from and he was like if it was mine I would replace the joists as well well no $&@! .
He did replace some under the kitchen but he only scabbed over one side and left the rotted stuff on there .
As of right now I can't have more than one person in the bathroom at once and don't get me started on the joist they cut two feet out of for a a/c vent or how bout the main support beam they cut in half

Back