need to modify wall for a bigger deck?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I used to have a small deck. The length is indicated by the size of the metal flashing shown in the picture.

Now I want to make a bigger deck that goes the full length of the wall. The deck will be floating, so it’s not attached to the house in any way.

My question is, whether I need to modify the siding for the full length and add an extra piece of flashing to make the wall look uniform at the bottom? Or is it OK to just leave the wall the way it is, and just build the deck?

Cheers!

Paul

20141012_122400.jpg

The tape indicates holes in the flashing. The siding to the right has what is called starter coarse which is better than J for handling the water I would replace the flashing with siding.

I would remove the bottom 3 rows of siding and replace it. The thing to be careful of with a floating deck is the posts closest to the house they need to be set at a depth below the frost line but also a depth to reach undisturbed soil. Depending on how long ago that part of the house was built and how it was compacted when back filled will be a clue to how deep you may have to go. Is there a basement behind that wall?

I went back a read your other thread.
I live in an earthquake zone where we want everything bolted together, so a self supporting deck is never considered.
Treated wood bolted to concrete does not need to breath but could be spaced away from the concrete with a treated 2x4 block.
A treated deck should last 20+ years and if flashed properly that timber will be like new and would not need to be changed with an upgrade 20 years later.
I have never run into rebar while hanging a deck on a concrete wall and I suspect we have much more rebar than you do.
Your thought about unsightly bolts if you remove this in the future. What else would you do back fill and install a concrete slab. anything else would hide the bolts or use them again.

Are you going to tie this to the other deck or just replace the same size of deck?

I built a free standing deck over the summer and my logic on attaching or not attaching had a lot to do with the height. In my case like the OP the deck surface is just a couple steps off the ground and I wasn't that worried about needing the mass of the house to stabilize it in an earthquake or such. I'm under 30 inches. I didn't even know if I wanted cross bracing but it became quite apparent after it was framed I did need it. Likewise if I was making a second story deck I would connect it to the house. I'm awaiting its first winter coming up. I'm 1" from the siding on two sides and 1.5" below the door leading to the deck. It might end up sounding like WW III when the temp get down to negative 30 again. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I would remove the bottom 3 rows of siding and replace it. The thing to be careful of with a floating deck is the posts closest to the house they need to be set at a depth below the frost line but also a depth to reach undisturbed soil. Depending on how long ago that part of the house was built and how it was compacted when back filled will be a clue to how deep you may have to go. Is there a basement behind that wall?

Hi Bud16415.

Thanks for your reply. Yes there is basement behind the wall. The house is 7 years old.

I went back a read your other thread.
I live in an earthquake zone where we want everything bolted together, so a self supporting deck is never considered.
Treated wood bolted to concrete does not need to breath but could be spaced away from the concrete with a treated 2x4 block.
A treated deck should last 20+ years and if flashed properly that timber will be like new and would not need to be changed with an upgrade 20 years later.
I have never run into rebar while hanging a deck on a concrete wall and I suspect we have much more rebar than you do.
Your thought about unsightly bolts if you remove this in the future. What else would you do back fill and install a concrete slab. anything else would hide the bolts or use them again.

Are you going to tie this to the other deck or just replace the same size of deck?

Hi Nealtw. Thanks a lot for your response!

The old deck was about 7 years old. I am thinking of building a brand new deck with all new pressure treated wood.

I'm leaning more towards a floating deck because it's completely separate from the house.

The new deck will be bigger than the old one and take up the entire length of the wall. It will be about 30 inches above ground, and 8.5 ft by 9.5 ft.

Cheers,

Paul

Back