Kitchen dilemmas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milbry18

Reaction score
I am remodeling my kitchen in less than 1 month. I am considering going with a stock kitchen from Bertch or a custom mennonite kitchen. They are working about to be about the same price? Both come with good reviews from what I can tell. I'm leaning toward the custom because they have been doing kitchens only for like 40 years. Some people are saying the custom kitchens don't stand the test of time and their finishes aren't as good. The standard kitchen does come with a limited lifetime warranty which i'm sure is a joke.

Other other issues are: We are doing laminate countertop and no backsplash for now. Should I run the countertop up as the backsplash also? This is what the kitchen guy suggested? He said adding another 4" block back there is just a dirt/dust collector that you are always cleaning. Other option would be to put a 4" piece of thin laminate right on the wall? any opinions or pics would be great.

We want to do an undermount sink whicis kinda a new process for laminate i think. they said they can create a seal in like body puddy and make the joint water tight to prevent leakage into cracks of laminate.? any opinions on this also?>

one last questions is do you match your paint, cabinet stain, floors, and counters or do you try to make things stand out.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I agree with your 'kitchen guy' as far as bring up the counter a bit to create a little bit of a back splash. I tend to pick a color and use various shades.

Let's see some pictures!

We want to do an undermount sink whicis kinda a new process for laminate i think. they said they can create a seal in like body puddy and make the joint water tight to prevent leakage into cracks of laminate.? any opinions on this also?> QUOTE]

Ask them if they have this at their house. I think I'd stay away from this myself, unless you just like to invite problems down the road, thats my :2cents: and it's your house and your money.

Oh...on warranties you do understand their is a difference between a warranty and a guarantee I hope.

Thanks for the advice, anyone else want to throw their 2 cents in?

Go with the 4" lami back splash. This is very common and will not cost you that much more. Then when you are ready to a tile back splash you can just pop it off. Otherwise that area where the sink hits the wall could become a mess over time.

As far as the under mount sink on lami. I have not seen that and would be concerned with the end of the counter de-laminating with the moist surroundings of the sink.

Back