DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Garage Overhaul - Seeking Advice

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 AM  
AJH
Default Garage Overhaul - Seeking Advice

Hi guys and gals! Completely new to the forum here but hoping to get some advice. I'm going to overhaul my garage with the following:

New Ceiling
New Lights / Fans
Finished Walls
Epoxy Floor
Enclosed Shelves & Workbench(s)

I'm thinking about starting with the ceiling, but I'm not sure if that is best. On a project like this should I work from the top down or start from the bottom up? Walls before ceiling?

I'd like to do something semi-rustic like one of these examples, but not pallet wood - do they have paneling that would look nice or do you recommend some other method? Here are some pictures of the current garage ceiling as it stands now as well...

Anxious to get started and discuss this more. Please advise. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	new ceiling example 1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	15027   Click image for larger version

Name:	new ceiling example 2.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	15028   Click image for larger version

Name:	garage-ceiling-1.png
Size:	899.9 KB
ID:	15029   Click image for larger version

Name:	garage-ceiling-2.png
Size:	939.9 KB
ID:	15030   Click image for larger version

Name:	garage-ceiling-3.png
Views:	12
Size:	992.9 KB
ID:	15031  

Old 11-13-2017, 08:22 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 255 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Is the garage attached? Is there living space above? The sheetrock should have at a minimum have a tape coat and second coat on the seams and nails/screws if there is living space above. The common walls with the house should have at least 2 coats as well.

I would insulate and sheetrock the exterior walls, and tape and mud all the sheetrock. The challenge with 4x8 paneling is handling the butt joints on the 4' ends. The 8' seams tend to have vertical groves that hide the seams. You could go with something like this at $1.86/square foot. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Design-Inno...-Kit/999967139

For cabinets there are any number of solutions depending on how much you want to spend. If you can find used kitchen cabinets at a good price that is one option.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2913 Times on 2554 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

It will be the little things that drive you crazy, like dealing with these wires around the doors with out damaging the girders.