Under sink leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwa74

Reaction score
I have two sinks, on one countertop in the bathroom. I use one 95% of the time. I noticed tonight as I was using the main sink that the other one started making gurgling or bubbling sounds and that I had a leak coming from a few places (from the wall, and where the sink pipe fits into the bendable PVC). Not sure why the one I wasn't using was leaking and the one I was using wasn't leaking? I reconnected everything, but still have the same issue. One thing I did notice is there was quite a bit of black sludge and I did my best to clear it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brent

If it's starting to plug up from soap scum (that's what that black stuff is) Put a small bucket under the trap and remove the whole thing and clean it out.
May be as simple as a clog in the trap. When the water can not get out the drain it builds up in the drain pipe and has more time to sit there and find a leak.

I hope thats all it is, but I did clean out the trap, so it makes me think the clog is somewhere in the wall? Maybe I need to do a good roto-rooting? Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

Make sure the PO plug (stopper) isn't clogged with hair. The depot has a tool called Zip-it that'll snag any hair that's clogged up in there.
You can also get a small hand snake to clear the gunk thats in the wall piping. Make sure you run some hot water after the snake job to wash away the residual gunk.

The reason you leaking a the sink you don't use as much is probably that the main drain pipe in the wall is clogged and that it is only backing up as far as the first sink in line. if the clog gets worse it will reach the other sink. the gurgling is because it is clogged enough to block the air vent.
You need to snake the pipe in the wall.
Good luck

Thanks all, going to snake the pipe this afternoon. I appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back