Can we ever be 100% sure that a house built after 1978 doesn't contain lead?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nankonir

Reaction score
I mean, for all we know, the house could have been painted with lead-paint bought prior to 1978, or by paint obtained from other sources, like industrial paint or paint from across the border where there are no regulations. Out of these three, the first concerns me the most. I mean, paint can last very long when stored properly, so lead-containing paint stored in the garage since the 70s can still be used by the owner today or even years from now. Who's there to stop him? Also, paint used in industry which contains lead can be obtained by a home owner (I don't know how, but I'm sure it's happened before) and be used to remodel or paint a new home. What do you think?

If you are concerned about it, get a lead survey done with someone that has an XRF gun and qualified to use it.

Lead is like asbestos, only dangerous of it is airborn. dangeouse for the guy putting it up or the guy taking it down or if it is chipping and flaking away. Don't let the kids chew on the woodwork!!!

Back