Orchids

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A south-facing window is the ideal location for optimum results. An eastfacing window would be next, then west and finally a northfacing window. If a windowsill does not provide sufficient light, artificial lighting may be used. For optimum light transmission, clean the windows frequently, and clean the foliage of dust as needed.

The most common reason an orchid fails to flower is inadequate light. The plant may grow and appear healthy, but if there is not sufficient light.

What is the best method to determine when my orchid needs watering ?

Insert your finger about 1 inch into the soil near the center of the container. If the soil feels dry, the plant needs water; if it is wet, wait.

Pick up the pots to compare the weight of a dry pot versus a wet pot. The pot will be lighter when it is dry. It is better to soak the plant thoroughly and occasionally than to water frequently with small amounts of water. To thoroughly water an orchid, place it in a sink and add lukewarm water until the water runs freely from the bottom of the pot.

Avoid using cold water (below 50F), since this can damage roots and can kill root hairs. About twice a year, put your plants in the shower, and run warm water over them for several minutes to clean the dust off the foliage.

How can I increase the humidity in the orchid’s environment ?

Place several plants close together to increase the humidity of the air surrounding the orchids.

You can increase the humidity by placing the plants in a bathroom window, by using plastic containers instead of clay pots.

You can purchase a humidifier. Air conditioners and heaters dry the air, so avoid placing orchids near vents or ducts.

Most orchids should be repotted every one to two years, although some varieties can go years without repotting.

burgess said:
How frequently should I repot ? Does it really necessary?
Timing is the most critical element in repotting orchids. If orchids are not repotted at the correct time, flowering may not occur until the next year.

Nearly all repotting should be done between February and June. This is the time when most orchids produce new growth and new roots. This usually occurs just after the plant flowers.

my indoor orchids, i just put it where there's lots of light and they're happy. i have them in my garden window in the kitchen now and they've been happy for a couple of years, give me flowers a couple of times a year. :eek: so many flowers that i've even gotten bugs, so i gave away one pot to my sister-in-law (that pot had 3 stalks of flowers last time it flowered).

i only repot them when the pot it's previously in could no longer hold them; looks like it's going to topple over from being top-heavy; plastic pot being split opened by being too full. once you repot them, don't expect flowers for at least a year cause they normally only flower when they're crowded (happy). also i repot them whenever i have time, doesn't matter what time of the year. once you get used to them, they're really easy to grow. don't require too much attention. i only water them once a week or if there's lots of sun, twice a week. fertilize when i think of it, but they flower with just water sometimes.

Back