Do elbows introduce noise (copper water pipe)?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golem

Reaction score
I currently have a gate valve for the home water supply master shut-off and looking to replace it with a ball valve. Unfortunately the gate valve is sandwiched snug to/between the wall and a drain pipe. I am thinking to cut a 1' or so section and add 45's (or 90's) to bring it out a few inches to allow room for operation of the ball valve handle. What I'd like to know is, since the location is just the other side of a bedroom wall, will this cause any appreciable noise when the water is running?

Any insight is appreciated.

-Ej

There are valves with extended handle for tight spots.
this is just one.
http://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/images/flowcontrol/PDF/NPP413.pdf
Much appreciate the reply..and, for flicking on my common sense!

Surprised I hadn't run across that option. But, since it looks to be a plumbers supply specialty item I see now why my HD and Lowes perusing didn't avail me of this option. :eek: Anyhow you got me inspired in that I can get the standard valve at half the price and half the trek then easily fab an extension.

Btw, I've now researched available extended handle ball valves and so far have yet to find a potable option so modding an easily sourced lead-free valve is that much more attractive.

I'd still be interested for future reference in the possibility of elbows introducing noise to water system plumbing.

Last edited:
I don’t think you will notice any extra noise in adding a couple fittings. I’m not sure what you are going to cut and add? A photo would help a lot.

I redid my whole house in PEX tubing and attached it at the master shutoff valve and with that stuff you can just bend it to get around such things.

My first thought was to turn on the hot water somewhere and go stand by the hot water tank where there are elbows and hear just how noisy they are.

Appreciate the replies!
I don’t think you will notice any extra noise in adding a couple fittings. I’m not sure what you are going to cut and add? A photo would help a lot.

I redid my whole house in PEX tubing and attached it at the master shutoff valve and with that stuff you can just bend it to get around such things.
Sorry, not able to take pics nor can I draw on the computer I'm currently using. Simply envision the following diagram.

______,,,,_____ vs. ____/͞ ͞ ͞ ''''''͞ ͞ ͞ \_____ (No, not a diode schematic, :p)

Yeah, I should have pexed this house 8 years ago. Starting about 10 ago one copper pipe after another began sprouting pinhole leaks. By now I've replaced nearly half the copper in that (my parent's) home.

My first thought was to turn on the hot water somewhere and go stand by the hot water tank where there are elbows and hear just how noisy they are.
Unfortunately although the hot water heater mimics the 3/4" piping it is sans any elbows in that location.

I've also found seperate stem extenders and even though they look to be make/model specific there may not be significant design differences therefore making them basically interchangeable (if not without minor mods).

Latest posts

Back