Rewiring outlet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
I have a counter-high outlet that I want to move down to floor level (about 12 inches from floor). I want to lose the the counter outlet and wire nut together the NM cables coming into and out of that box (just put a cover on it). I then want to run a NM cable out that box and terminate it at the new floor level outlet. Sound ok?

Sounds good, just make sure the wire size is a match, and oh yah, turn off the darn power first. We care about yah! Good luck....

Task, I see no problem in what you want to do. However, ....

Is this existing receptacle serving and actual kitchen or bathroom counter? If you will will likely be creating a code (and logical) violation by removing it.

Second, if not, and you do not want to upper box and more, there is a good chance the wires come from below the upper box. You may just be able to pop the staples loose and bring the cables down to your new box.

Hi Petey, the area was a wet bar and now is going to be a work cubby. Wet bars are sooo 70s, lol. Unfortunately the wires were way too short to run down, hence my idea. Thanks.

Back