siding material question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmkid

Reaction score
I want to add a little onto my house next spring after it warms up, but I have a siding problem to figure out first. I don't know what the siding material is called or where I can find more of it. The house was built in 1977 and I'm sure the siding is original. The material is some kind of fiberboard about 12 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. There are aluminum inserts between pieces where they are joined. Does anyone know what this stuff is called and if it's still available. I haven't been able to find it anywhere so far.

The addition I want to do is just a small entryway, so I won't need very much of it. If I can't find any, I'll have to settle for having that part sided with something else, or I'll have to wait to do the project until I can afford to replace all the siding.

It sounds very much like a Fiberboard Lap siding. Is yours textured or smooth? It is made in 4", 8" and 12" widths, 16' long, and is usually about 7/16" thick. It is also called "Bender Board", because a lot of the masonry guys use it to form curbs, sidewalks, etc. The 8" typically sells for around $11.00 and the 12" sels for around $14.00, depending on the market area. It is typically available from most any lumber yard, I know that Boise Cascade usually stocks it (in my area anyway). I stock it at my store.

Thanks for that information. I'll look for it. There's a Home Depot and a Lowe's here, but I haven't seen it at either place. There are also a couple of contractor-oriented building supply stores that I haven't checked yet.

As for your question, it's smooth.

No problem. Good luck on your search. Typically, if you ask any lumber retailer, they should be able to bring it in for you.:) If they do not, then they probably don't want your money.:(

Back