slick spot on laminate floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakuda

Reaction score
My kitchen fooring is the sheet laminate that you can buy at any big box hardware store. It has been that since before I bought the place.

What is weird though is that there is a slick spot to the left of the sink, in the corner of the counter area. If I step there w/o thinking about it, my feet slip.

I tried covering it with a mat, but the mat slips as well. What caused this, and how can I fix it? I don't want to replace the floor (yet), but it is quite annoying.

Check to see if there's any kind of oil on it's surface by sticking some masking tape down on that slick area. If the masking tape pulls up with less force than you'd normally expect, there's some sort of contamination of the surface.

Check to see where oil might drip off a ceiling fan. Or it could be that the convective currents that carry air upward over your stove end up causing cooking oil to converge on this spot.

If the tape pulls off easier than in other areas, I'd clean that area with paint thinner (aka: mineral spirits, varsol or "solvent") to eliminate what I expect is a cooking oil film.

(You can also use dish soap an water to clean up cooking oil, if that's what it is.)

Back