Fireplace Options

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evil Scotsman

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I live in Philadelphia Pa and am inheriting a house in the next few months. We want to complete ALL renovations/work, (needs much work, mostly cosmetic, but not 100% sure) before we move in. Currently living in another home in another section of the city. I would LOVE to install a wood/coal burning fireplace in the house. But not sure what my options are? It will be used MOSTLY for estetics (sp?) (read as cozy/romantic/etc) not STRICTLY for a heat source. What is involved? Would I need permits? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thank You

Hey, I'm out in the burbs, Chester county.

You have a lot of options, or maybe none.

Yes you will need a permit. This also isnt a DIY project. You will need a chimney for a wood/coal fireplace. You may already have one and it may, or may not, be possible to use it. A professional installer can tell you.

These guys are near me, and not toooo too far from Phily
Fireplace Experts

I bought this from them
dscn0161s2.jpg

Its gas so it only needed a direct vent to the outside. Comes in coal/wood version too. Vermont Castings Intrepid II Catalytic Cast Iron Wood Stove

You could considering going with a ventless fireplace; which can easily be installed by yourself or at minimal cost. It doesn't require a chimney or flute and can be fueled by either gel or natural gas. You'll need to make sure you follow all local building code laws when it comes to a ventless fireplace and also make sure you follow the manufacture requirements for run-time and room size.

Well handyguys seems like hit the right advice.. And that looks like a good fireplace handyguys! :)

Back