water on siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjod71

Reaction score
Hi,

1st post here at DIY and a true novice to DIY-ing.

For the past few mornings I notice water spots in the same place on our asbestos siding (see attached photo). After a short while, the water evaporates away. We've had some snow recently but that should all be melted by now. Possible leaks from the roof above or adjacent window? Perhaps easiest to just remove the siding and have a look behind? Any ideas? Thanks very much.

IMG_2961.jpg

photo2.jpg

Last edited:
Post a picture of the whole area of the house, any gutters included. Looks like a normal drip from above, probably when stuff starts to melt off the roof, even without snow.unless there is a sink behind that part of the wall, but you would probably notice something also in the basement....if you have one.

Yes, if you run a plumb line from the top edge of the moisture pattern you can find exactly where, vertically and horizontally, it is coming from. You can make a plumb bob from fine thread and a 6-32 nut.

The proper slope for a gutter is controversial but I use 1" rise for 10' run. If it drains too fast or too slow it doesn't carry debris to the downspout.

If you want to see inside that wall, I'd go in from the inside because the hole is more easily patched and the patch doesn't have to be weatherproof.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. :) Posted a photo with a wider view. There is no sink behind that wall. We have noticed moisture/water damage/mold in the basement and one possible source, aside from this moisture, is along the stairwell which is visible at the bottom of the images.

When you have another spot there, look up and underneath the gutter directly above. I will bet the wood and gutter are both dripp zones. The water is probably going behind the gutter from the roof every morning as the "dew" comes off the roof. It may be minimal, but that asbestose type siding does not absorb any water, it just stays on the surface.

Let us know what happens.:)

You have a lot to look at. With the low slope and no overhang on the roof you could have ice dam issues, leaking around windows and doors or even worse would be pores foundation and weeping tile system not working properly.

To possibly find the direction and source of water flow, paste a plastic sheet over the spot for 24 hours.

Back