remove black film from hardwood floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred511

Reaction score
Hi:
My name is Peggy.
My husband and I just removed a rubberbacked rug from our bedroom floor.

underneath is hardwood flooring.

we scraped all the nasty mess off. and need some help on getting the black film off of the hardwood floor.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it off without sanding and refinishing the floor. We tried the denatured alcohol, dissolve it...it

did not even put a dent on it. I am now going to try dawn...and then vinegar...

A quick fix that will enhance your wood without damaging the finish is to use Howard's Restore a Finish after cleaning the wood floor. You can find it on the paint/stain aisle at the home improvement centers. It comes in clear or in tones to match the wood. You simply damp mop it on, let it soak into the wood, then use a lint free rag or old clothes, wrapped around the mop to remove excess.

I couldn't help but read "Hi, my name is Peggy" in a funny accent because of this video...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4kGBfy_lk"]this commercial. [/ame]

Okay, so is this film you're talking about actually rubber from this rug that fused to the wood? Or was this something you put down for the rug to rest on so it wouldn't move? I guess I'm looking for a picture. Is it sticky?

Latest posts

Back