Wet Wood Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Jay

Reaction score
I have a shed that I use for storing fire wood, this spring with all the rain we had in central Ohio I had a leak in the roof that I did not catch for a couple of months so now I have a section of floor (2X6 pine) that I can not get dry.

I have had a fan blowing on it for a month now and in the evening it appears to be about dry but in the morning's it looks like I have done nothing. Any ideas besides taking out and replacing this section of floor?

Thanks

How far is the floor above the ground? Is there a moisture barrier between the floor and the ground? Is the space under the floor closed in or is there vents for air movement?

I believe you are drying the surface and new moisture is wicking up.

Nothing on top of the area except the roof and it is 8' away.

The shed is built on 4X6 beams on edge that are on cement blocks the top level of them is about 6" above ground. I have 1/2" hardware cloth secured to the sides of the shed which goes straight down to the ground and then buried about 18" out to keep critters from setting up house underneath this does let air flow under, no vapor barrier under under the shed but just this area about 2 1/2' X 3 1/2' affected.

Can you get down and look under with a flashlight and see if a puddle had formed from the leak. Has the wood got pithy yet or just feels damp to the touch?

If the wood is solid only time will tell if it dries. Putting a fan on it is about all you can do and keep the door open to get some air exchange. Not sure what else you can do maybe pry up a board and take a look under.

Find a way to get air under it, if nothing else cut out a couple boards and let it dry. If you are not heating it and you don't want holes that allow criters in. Cut hole in the corners of the floor so the shed is one with the air below.
And leave them open

Think I found the problem, NO water standing under neath but the ground was very moist from all the rain + being in a woods very little air movement. I used my reddy heater and ducted it underneath and dried out the ground and now the floor is a lot drier.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Drying the floor with fan is not enough if you are getting the area moist again.
Use a good room heater or desiccant dehumidifier can also help you.

Back