Cathedral ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian61478

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a house and found this app which has been very helpful.

I have a sunroom that was added in the 80's that I'd like to take the ceiling out and do a cathedral style ceiling. As of this morning the ceiling was about 7' I figured the only way I could see what was up there was to rip the ceiling out. The highest point of the peak now is at 10'.

The sun room was added onto the existing house and there is nothing above it besides the roof. I am going to try to get a professional in the next two weeks to look at it but figured if I could get some advice beforehand it would be helpful. I am not sure what cross beams can be taken out. I read that I can take them out and leave every third beam and raise the third beam up higher. I'd have no problem raising them all and having the ceiling at about 9'.

I will try to attach some pictures and appreciate any suggestions. Again I have already learned lots from this app and plan on learning lots more during these adventures.

1398003641297.jpg

1398003657317.jpg

1398003700571.jpg

1398003719425.jpg

So, I'm guessing you want to end up with an exposed open beam ceiling? If so, keep in mind that you will need to pull the roof, replace the plywood with a nice T & G board, so the exposed nails will be eliminated. Yep, it will be nice, but costly. Also, please make sure an architect reviews your thoughts to maintain structural integrity.

A nice exposed ceiling would be nice. I have no problem covering up the beams if I have to. I'd just like the higher ceiling. I am making a few calls on Tuesday to try and get someone to look at it in the next two weeks. Again I know no decisions could be made until I took the old ceiling out. I am also not all that worried about replacing the roof because it is all being re done this summer. Thanks for responding, enjoy the rest of your weekend

Welcome to the site. The “beams” that go up to form the slope of the roof are called rafters. They connect at the top to the ridge board, and the “beams” that go across at the bottom are called the joists. The type of roof you have is what’s called stick framing as opposed to trusses. Trusses are designed for snow and wind loading and sometimes have the cathedral ceiling look designed into them. The way a stick framed roof works is the load of snow or wind pushes down and wants to make the walls push outwards. What stops that from happening is the joists going from side to side pull back against the walls when that happens. The roof you have now was designed or built by someone that understood that and the material was sized accordingly along with the spacing between the rafters and joists.

When you move the joist up to get more ceiling height they now call it a collar tie and what you suggest is often done. The question is and will have to be answered by someone that can do the calculations on your roof and the code in your area for loads, Is the roof framing that is there now suitably sized to go with some joist removal and or raising the ceiling joists up and making them collar ties.

I have seen where they double up the joists and then skip one to make it more of a beam look.

Let us know what the expert says when you have him out.

You can copy the scissor truss design, where the wall is attached to the apposing rafter higher up.

Scissors_truss_1.jpg

Thanks for the better explanation. I was not sure if the roof style was stick frame or not. I also like the scissor truss design. I would be happy with that also. I have someone coming out tomorrow so will ask him plenty of questions. If I have to put the ceiling back for now I will. When I took the first tile out I had seen some mouse droppings so there was the main reason for ripping it all apart so fast. Luckily there were none up there so I assume it was a past issue.

Latest posts

Back