Recessed Vessel sink installation, but how?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
This sink (www.decolav.com/incandescence/2806.html)

supposedly can be recessed a varying amount or none at all. No recession at all is easy, cut the drain hole and the sink's diameter edge sits on the counter.

But recessing? The unit's sides are perpendicular to the counter top so, (correct me where I'm wrong)
1) gotta cut the hole to the diameter of the unit
2) Decide how deep you want the sink recessed.
3) Fix the sink in place -- but how? Alot of recessed sinks have angled or bowled sides and you can bevel the counter top to support it. But the perpendicular sides of this one puzzle me. The manuf's installation instructs are woeful. I emailed Decolav a week ago. no response.

I presume strapping of some sort -- which would be ok if the counter was particle board or something that can be bitten from underneath but what about stone counters? Other ideas? Do-able?

thanks folks.

ps. If you look at my posts (from earlier this year (June)) that's the bathroom that's finally ready for tiling. It took about 4 months to find carpenters to do the joist leveling. Just an aside.

If I were doing it recessed I think I would install 1"x2" cleats on the inside of the vanity and lay in a piece of 3/4 ply. on the inside for it to sit on. Have the stone cut with the template and set the sink in a scribe where the drain will go.
The top of the cleats will be from the top of the vanity, less 3/4" for the plywood, less the amount of the recess below the stone top.

I would also note that if you're using a translucent sink you'll probably want to paint or stain the plywood before you set the sink on it. Frankly, that's another reason to use a full sub-top vs strapping of some sort.

Last edited:
No clue why anyone would want to even attempt to recess that type of sink.
Anything you tried to support it with would show through the bowl.
Flush mount it.

oohhhhh, I get it. So the sink will sit on a shelf, hidden inside the vanity. Likey. And its something I feel I've got the chops for. thanks!

In retrospect you don't even need cleats for the shelf but could just use shelf pins. The type in your kitchen cabinets. Once you install it I would run a bead of silicone caulk on the underside, it won't be seen and any water that gets into the seam from above will just be between the glass and stone top.

Last edited:
Back