Expanding Foam

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_GS

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used expanding foam for tub support? I have a jacuzzi tub and the support is not great. It cracked once and I repaired the crack but looking to support it more. Would expanding foam be the best to spray under to help support any weak spots? If so, what type of expanding foam? I see there's several different kinds.

Guys around here mix a bag of ready mix concrete kind of dry and toss it down and set the tub into it.

I put in a cheap shower once and it felt bendy and I shot a can of great stuff in under the crack at the floor and it helped.

Yea everything I saw recommended that but unfortunately the tub is already set so was curious if anyone has use the expanding foam as a second option. How did it hold up for you?

Last edited:
problem with foam, it breaks down after time.

I have done this before on a set tub

build a wood form, mix up some concrete, soupy mix, using a card board box as a funnel pour the crete under the tub
into your form.

as it sets up. pack the crete tightly so that it is supporting the tub

the correct way, pull the tub, set in a motor bed

It held up fine when I tried it. the shower I put in was what they call a garage shower or hunting camp shower and I put it in the basement tied into the washer sump as a quick thing as I was tearing out the only bathroom in our house. 20 years later I never took it out and it’s really been nice to have. In my case it firmed it up ok and never seemed to go down. I shot it in from every side.

Some of those foams in a can are known to expand many times. I'd be afraid that the tub would pop out if not properly done.

When they first came out they would expand and jam windows shut etc. The great stuff I have used in the last ten years just fills the space with no outward pressure. I would give it a day to cure before I tried putting any weight on it.

Everything I've read was to use low expanding foam and to fill the tub prior to using to account for weight. Once it dries then drain tub.

I did contact a professional and he mentioned using the spray foam which never dawned on me. I assume there is something out there and I would have no problem paying him but I find it hard to pay someone $500 to just spray some foam under the tub

Back