do i have an hvac problem??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amf17

Reaction score
i recently moved into a house(built 2005) with a finished basement(finished 2007). I am currently renovating one of the rooms in the basement and I have dropped the drywall ceiling to have a look at the furnace ducting.

i have a couple of questions about how the install for the basement was done.

I have tons of air flow coming out of the wall vents in the basement and a decent amount in the main level vents, but the upstairs vents are severly lacking in air flow. Is this be because the house originally only had heating ducts for the main and upper floor and now that there are ducts in the basement, the pressure has dropped???

how would i go about fixing this??? or is there even a problem to be fixed??? i am just wondering because i'd like to make any changes i need to now because i have the ceiling down.

thanks

Some in-line duct fans will help boost the air to the upper floors; a quick google search will yield some results.

are there dampers on the individual lines coming off the furnace that feed the rooms ?? if so, you should be able to close some of the basement level dampers say, 50% and the main floor ones about 30% to get more airflow upstairs.. if there are no dampers inline, you could install some. then you can more accurately control the amount of airflow throughout your house.

or the inline duct fans, but i prefer more control personally :)
i hope this helps
mike

Latest posts

Back