granite countertop

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelleb

Reaction score
we are going the have white river granite countertop (from Granite outlet) installed.
please help us ...because we get mixed info from contractors and stores about the glue/adhesive that we should use.

some contractors said that they will use liquinails, or 100% sillicone, or others said nonsillicone...we don't know what is the best for white granite.
they said that sillicone will 'bleed" in and leve permanent spots, other that liquinails should not be use for granite even if it said is for granite.

other said that granite beeing so heavy should not pe glued at all?

also about sealant, should we apply sealant same day after the granite was installed(the addesive not yet dry)...wait couple days...how many layers, after how many minutes between layers?
or we should have the fabricators/contractors apply sealant before installing?
please help us with info.

Last edited:
Go with LiquidNails ... They specify that it will not stain granite or marble. Since marble is quite porous, this is a good sign.

Your sealant can go on the next day. I would apply at least two coats. If the installer will do the first coat for free, take him up on it (his liability) ... but this is not rocket science ... Wipe on, wipe off.

most of the installers in my area use sillicone...they said is better than liquidnails because sillicone expands, is flexible...
is that important for the granite countertop?

i just want something that doesn't bleed through granite and get the ugly spots.

what is better, sillicone or liquidnails (considering the granite is prefabricated and the color is white) ?
need the answer ASAP.
Thanks , Michelle

Clear silicone is best. Acts as adhesive, sealant and caulk. One product, multiple jobs.

I think Pierson made a good case for the silicone, “Acts as adhesive, sealant and caulk” I haven’t bonded granite ever so I was watching this thread for pointers. I have used silicone for bonding other things and we tend to think of it as gap filler and a water sealer but I have found its gluing properties to be pretty good depending on the brand and type. I would like to know more about what brands and type work best? I have also used a lot of liquid nails and it’s an amazing product. My personal experiences with it are it always ends up where it shouldn’t be for some reason. Mostly my hands and then gets transferred to other things. Sometimes it’s a bugger to clean off a surface I don’t know about granite.

Well, in my company, we install our Kitchens with silicone under the slab, it will not bleed through a 1 inch slab. Plus, our slabs are finished with a resin and bonding sheet to keep the slab from cracking as much as possible.
The liquid nails is a fantastic bonding glue, but thats the problem if you ever need to remove the top for a new sink or other work. It pulls the plywood right off the cabinet tops every time. Not to mention those little corner braces from the cheap HD cabinets.
The silicone holds it down really well, and lets the wood underneath move because of it's flexibility. Plus it is easy to break the bond with a putty knife between the materials, not so with that really good glue.;)
Good luck in your granite adventure.
And finding out what your installer will warrantee in writing is the most important part by the way.

Back