To Convert from Fuse to Breakers...??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
:help: Just a Baseball Estimate what the Cost will be to convert the Electrical Panel from Fuse to Breaker...Older Style Semi-Detached from the 70's...Electrical Baseboards disconnected for Gas Heat...Just your Basic 3 Bedroom with 2 full Baths..Kitchen,Livingroom,Familyroom...:2cents:

Depends on if the just the panel can be changed or if the whole service needs to be changed.
My GUESS for 200 amp service $1800-$2800.

Woah! That estimate might be a bit high on the upper end. For the box alone ... you have to factor in the permit, inspection, replacing entire service box, new breakers, addition of whole house lightning protector, new ground rod, possible replacement of service line from the street (added amps and old line), possible complications with hookup inside the box.

While you are at it, do you need GFCI's and AFCI's added to meet code? (The inspector might require it).

Good luck and DO IT because you really need the added amps and the upgraded protection.

Just replacing box-for-box with existing breakers is a full day.

SHOCK.jpg

Last edited:
Fuses have different clearing time curves than breakers do (with them it's called the trip time curve).

If you don't want some baffling problems to pop up have your guy do due diligence and buy the appropriate breakers for your loads. Compressor loads are probably the worst but computers without soft start can also cause problems.

BTW, the photo in #3 is pretty much how I got into EE stuff but I haven't gotten a serious shock since I was 26, 450v from a TV degaussing coil.

rewire, per SF
half the cases are between
4.32 $/sq ft
and
6.63 $/sq ft

rewire, per outlet
half the cases are between
$38
and
$105

Last edited:
Fuse box from the 70s??

:eek: @ nealtw...My Daughter's house was built in 1973...

:hide::hide: @ CallMeVilla , Wuzzat & JoeD, Thanks for your Comebacks... The picture at the bottom of CallMeVilla's Post...Generally I'm Ok with Electrical Issues but as the Picture, Oh I've had my Moments giving myself a quick pat down on occasion... Thanks Cheers

Last edited:
Prices vary lot's by location. The guess I posted could be on the high side but it is relative to the location in Ontario Canada, not California. It also based on a electrical contractor doing the work not a homeowner.

The ball park figures I have for service replacement from local electricians is 100 amp $1000, 200 amp $2000. Of course every situation is unique.

Back