New basement window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffrun36

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a new 24 x 36 window in my poured basement wall. Should I install it directly under the sill? Or should I come down into the wall a few inches?

I'm getting ready to install a new 24 x 36 window in my poured basement wall. Should I install it directly under the sill? Or should I come down into the wall a few inches?

Welcome.

Will this be installed 24" wide and 36" high, or 36" wide?

Who's cutting the concrete and has the pour been x-rayed to determine if there is a bond beam?

The wall is being cut by a professional. And the window is 32" wide (I type-oed the first measurement) and 24" tall

The wall is being cut by a professional. And the window is 32" wide (I type-oed the first measurement) and 24" tall

Thanks for the clarification.

Is the installation permitted?

Do the floor joist end above the proposed window, or are they parallel to this wall?

I will follow up on Snoonbys question.
There should should be header above the window. If the floor joist land on the sill, it is more important and if there is a window above where one side of that window lands right above this hole.
If the floor joist run in the same direction as the wall in question, you can just add another joist above the hole against the rim, 35 plus inches long.
If the floor jopists are landing on this wall, you really should have a header below the sill. 35" header 2 jack studs hold up the header. Cut hole 38" wide to allow for king studs too.
Fairly small, I would guess 2 2x8s for the header. so you would cut it 34" down to allow for header and 2 sills, top and bottom.
If you can sneak the extra joist above the hole would be 35" wide and 27" wide.
Use treated lumber for anything toughing concrete.

Thanks guys for the info. To add a bit more clarification the wall runs parallel to the floor joists. So we don't have any additional support concerns from flor joists running perpendicular into the wall.

Thanks guys for the info. To add a bit more clarification the wall runs parallel to the floor joists. So we don't have any additional support concerns from flor joists running perpendicular into the wall.

Thanks, now what is the elevation of the grade beneath the top of the wall?

is this window in a bedroom in the basement if so it has to be an egress window if so you have rules to follow which we all can help

As long as you don't have the side of a window or door landing above.
Doubling the frim joist should look after everthing.

Thanks for the info everyone. This is not a bedroom situation so we don't need an egress. We basically want to put some livable space in the basement and would like some light in it.

Thanks for the info everyone. This is not a bedroom situation so we don't need an egress. We basically want to put some livable space in the basement and would like some light in it.

Living space or "habitable areas" also require egress.

How does one exit, where the staircase fully engulfed?

Back