Wall with mould.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gag953

Reaction score
I have a wall on the north side of my house that has a gable roof running east/west. At the west end of this wall, the wall meets another wall running north with a gable roof running north/south.

In the corner I have a clothes closet on the north wall of the first wall I told you about. This is my problem area. I have mould inside the closet at the base up the wall about 8”, and now I have ice building up on the inside. I think that this problem is because of the two roof’s meeting and making a valley that causes ice damming.

Can you tell me what to do? I am disabled, so the fixes need to be easy to fix for me.

It sounds like a siding problem, with the damage so low on wall. Check outside this area and let us know what you see, maybe a down spout with straps screwed to wall, or a questionable siding corner, or earth built up to high in that area. Lookin forward to your response, good luck....

You could also have an insulation problem. Some may be missing from the area you have which meets the roof. It is a common occurance. Check the attic to see if the area where the roof and wall meet has any insulation. If not you creat condensation from the hot air in the house meeting the cool air outside.
Like a cold drink on a hot day, the can gets wet.;)

Welcome GAG:
It may not be possible to repair the problem this time of year. Meanwhile, leave the closet door open for good air circulation; you may even need a small fan to keep it dry. Just remember, this is a temporary band-aid and the insulationn will need to be checked in the springtime. I personally believe someone missed insulating the closet wall.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back