How flush should pre-hung doors be?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
Am I too demanding? I'd like our new french doors installed flush to the drywall so when trim goes over it is nice and flat. This is clear natural pine casing and the same mat'l for the door so we aren't puttying and painting.

On the first install attempt, one set of doors was off level 3/8 in 5 feet along the top. It was corrected. Its edges are flush to the drywall (by chance?).

On the other set of doors, one side is sticking out 1/8 to 3/16 past the drywall. I'm not a trades pro but I bet I could make it flush all around--can I expect my guy to to likewise? I don't want gaps under the trim/casing once it's in. Thanks.

Double french doors are the hardest to hang, don't feel bad.
It really depends on how plumb the framing is and how bad the sheetrock is sticking away from the framing. More screws to suck it in around the door helps, along with a couple of clamps to get it tighter to the stud.
The door needs to hang plumb from the top down. I set the door in the opening and start to shim it from the top down. Usually you can get away with an 1/8 inch away from the rock on one side to the next at a maximum.
I will take a block of wood and hit the jack legs of the framing until they are plumb at the bottom plate. You cannot do anything at the top where the header is, except cut some sheetrock back to taper the trim in, so it does not rock.(if that makes any sense to you). If you have a professional around who gets paid by the hour, let them stop by to assist you and show you the tricks, then do it your self.
I do that around here for customers, and it helps them, and me to get more work.
The good feeling they get translates to good word of mouth business for me.

Hope that helps.

Back