ceiling fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack

Reaction score
I am putting in a ceiling fan. I would like to know how mount junction box so it will hold fan safe. My beams are on 24in centers.

Mack, ceiling fans don't mount to just a junction box. They should be attached to a solid support, able to hold the weight of the fan. You can buy metal ceiling fan supports at the hardware stores that have a screw out bar that wedges them in between the joists and you are able to attach a junction box to the bar. Is there existing electric service where you want to hang the fan? Do you have access from above, attic to work from?

...and welcome to House Repair Talk.

You need to buy a fan rated ceiling box. The box will list the weight it can hold up.

Thanks for the answer. I do have access to the attic. If i do get any more answers i may not get to read them. For some reason i can not get past a box that comes up that says, i need a master pass word for this soft ware. I do not have one or where to get one. I never had to do this before. I dont know how i got in this time on my pass word after trying for 3 days. I got this answer on my e mail but said may not happen again with out logging in.

Personally I do not like the type of box that mounts between the ceiling joists to hang a fan from. There are fan boxes that mount directly to the joists. If the location you want the fan cant fall on a joist, and since you have attic access, I would install blocking to secure a fan box to.

I prefer to mount right to a joist or add blocking. I would only use one of the brackets if I didn't have access from above and needed to place the fan where I didn't have a joist to directly attach to.

We are in total agreement that the support needs to be solid. I want fewer things between the fan and the framing as possible to ensure the most solid connection.

Personally I do not like the type of box that mounts between the ceiling joists to hang a fan from.QUOTE]

Curious as to why you don't like them. I have used them at my house on a couple of fans without any problems.

I've repaired a few ceiling fans that the homeowner thought was securely mounted to the joists, but in fact were just pushed up against the insulation. A few days later, they ripped down. I agree, solid blocking from joint to joist, provided you have the room to work in the attic. If not, check for obstructions or wiring, then check again, and then install the expanding ceiling fan hanger.

Back