re-running condensate drain

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachguy005

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I need to move my ac drain. I'd like to just relocate it to drain directly into my deep sink in the garage. It will also give me the option of collecting it for watering plants.
I'm in SW Florida so it generates a fair amount of water.
Any issues with this idea?
Thanks,

Other than leaving the plug in the sink, I don't think there should be a problem. You could run it to a rain barrel outside.

Leave some way to clear blockages, either with high pressure water from a garden hose, or coat hanger wires. These things which carry only water find some way to plug themselves up.

There may also be an overflow designed to alert the homeowner that the normal pipe is plugged; it usually drains outside somewhere.

"Probably the most misunderstood portion of a condensate drain system is trap installation. The primary purpose of a condensate trap is to prevent air from moving in or out of the coil box or air handler during operation. Traps must be installed in a manner that will stop the air from passing through, but still allow the condensate to drain from the condensate pan."

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Running it to the sink removes about 20 feet of run and three 90s. There doesn't appear to be any trap. An elbow into 3/4 drain pipe out of the bottom of the unit. They also have another line coming out of the pan, which they piped to drain into the soffit, of all places. I'm moving that also.

Thanks for the replies. Running it to the sink removes about 20 feet of run and three 90s. There doesn't appear to be any trap. An elbow into 3/4 drain pipe out of the bottom of the unit. They also have another line coming out of the pan, which they piped to drain into the soffit, of all places. I'm moving that also.
Yeah, that soffit thing is supposed to drain outside to alert the HO that there is a clog.

Latest posts

Back