DIY Under-Cabinet LED Lighting System

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcbfd

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or tried this lighting system yet?

Youtube Video: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCaKueEOhQ&list=PLveQ7xC6xNAwe53s27k5cYf_NwNDq2nHq"]Illuma-Plate Under-Cabinet Lighting System[/ame]

Nice product but it makes under counter lighting a lot more than it needs to be. Do you really need to have multiple lighting levels? Given that one level is one or two watts less is irrelevant, given the cost of energy and the amount of time they're on. My preference is for a fully linear light source under rather than spot lighting.
My kitchen is a workplace, not a museum that needs mood lighting.

As in all lighting, there are aesthetics to be considered and while standing at a counter or involved in preparation there is little visual impact.

However when sitting at a dining table the bottom of the cabinets and the fixtures become visible. Is that presentable?

Another factor is the "W" effect visible in the backsplash which is easier to overcome, or lessen the effect of with a linear tract system prevalent in xenon, as a for instance, and the ability to locate them tight behind the cabinet face frame, add lamps and dim.

Next could be for those who choose to eliminate elec. recep. and switching from the backsplash and use plug-mold for counter appliances mounted to the cabinet bottom.

Then there is the dimming. How in that accomplished and is there a PDF detailing the component parts.

Nice looking system. My challenge would be getting across my kitchen sink. I don't have cabinets above to hide the cable as it transverses this area. I'd probably need four controllers in my kitchen set up, which would make it a pricey option. I need to replace my halogen task lights as the pin connector halogen bulbs are unreliable as all get out. They'll go out, you smack the fixture and they come back on. Grrrr.

Looks pretty slick but I guarantee it has a really slick price to match. I purchased 6 LED hockey puck lights with white, red, blue and green colors, all fully remote controlled, and runs on two AA batteries, for $29 at Costco. I placed them under all my kitchen cabinets and couldn't be happier.

Latest posts

Back