how to repair these 2 items(if *required*)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semidevil

Reaction score
we have a new construction that was built in 2006.

today, I went to my back yard and I saw this on the foundation:

my.php

a piece of foundation came off. Is this bad? Is this something that I need to worry about? IF so, what do I do to fix it?

2. my dog has been doing this to my exterior wall in the backyard(bottom right):

my.php

Is this something that can eventually deteriorate if (for example) it keeps being exposed to heat/water etc etc? how do I fix it? can I just paint over it?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Paint! Keep that sealed and dry as best you can

Plain paint would be temporary at best.. Use an exterior sealing primer and then a good exterior paint. Keeping wood dry when it's so close to the ground is very important. This is a place where I would want an air gap between the concrete floor and the bottom of the wood.

An oil base penetrating primer when the wood is very dry, then a latex paint :)

Plain paint would be temporary at best.. Use an exterior sealing primer and then a good exterior paint. Keeping wood dry when it's so close to the ground is very important. This is a place where I would want an air gap between the concrete floor and the bottom of the wood.

okay, thanks. exterior sealing primer and exterior paint. Can you explain about the air gap? what is that?

also, how about the foundation(the first pic)??

thanks so much

I'm not the concrete guy here lol...
You may have to wait a couple of days to get the best advice on that one..

An air gap is just a space for water to pass underneath or in the worst case, to drain or weep out. 1/4 to 1/2" is better than none at all.

I'm not the concrete guy here lol...
You may have to wait a couple of days to get the best advice on that one..

An air gap is just a space for water to pass underneath or in the worst case, to drain or weep out. 1/4 to 1/2" is better than none at all.

thanks, that makes sense. so how do I 'get' this air gap? something I need to do?

The house should have been built that way lol...

You could lay a thin piece of plywood on the floor and slide a handsaw (the manual push and pull kind) back and forth on it, using it as a guide to make the cut even across. Looks like the siding is right against the floor also. This is a situation where many homeowners with good intentions make the mistake of caulking the wood to the floor at ground level. There is no escape for the water that collects there. It just sits and soaks in, rots, feeds termites and turns to powder.

Latest posts

Back