Remove/repair mark in stainless fridge door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm housesitting for some friends with stainless appliances. They warned me not to open the fridge and oven doors at the same time because they were installed too close to each other.

Well, you can probably guess: I forgot about this unusual restriction and opened the fridge to add something to the oven—bam!

There's now a dark mark, about 1/4" wide, on their practically-new Samsung side-by-side (see photo). The mark's a different color from the fridge, so I can't tell if it's actually a scratch, or just some kind of coloration that was transferred from the oven door. I've tried Windex, baby oil, baking soda applied with a Q-tip... but it's still there.

I'm just sick about this. Have any ideas how I may be able to fix it? I'm reasonably handy, so suggest away. Thanks!

fridge_mark_zps8602f23a.jpg

Last edited:
Well, despite the pessimism, I managed to remove the mark. First, I read as much info about stainless finishes as I could find. Then here's what I did:

1. Applied a small amount of cleaning powder for stainless-steel and copper pans to a wet Q-Tip.

2. Gently rubbed the mark with the Q-Tip, going only in the direction of the grain (pattern) of the steel's finish—that is, horizontally—till the mark disappeared.

3. Applied a very small amount of the powder (which is abrasive) to a soft, moist rag; then gently wiped along the grain over the general area where the mark was to smooth out the grain lines as much as possible. (This took the most time and patience.)

4. Used some stainless steel wipes from my supermarket's cleaning-supply department (the resemble baby wipes, but they're for steel) to clean the entire fridge. Following the wipes' instructions, I wiped only in the direction of the grain here, too.

5. With a dry, soft rag, buffed the fridge to remove the wipes' residue and leave a nice sheen.

What a relief. Of course it's much easier not to scrape the fridge in the first place—so that's my best advice. :?)

Back