Adhesive on basement floor!!!!!!!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will1987

Reaction score
Hi
I'm doing some work for a woman whose basement floor is covered with old dried up adhesive, I guess from carpeting that she had. Her basement flooded and she had to get rid of the carpet. Now she wants to do something with the floor to make it look decent. She probably doesnt want to put down tile because it would be too expensive. Shed be happy just to paint the floor and leave it at that. The problem is that there is no ventilation down there to speak of and I don't want to use toxic adhesive removers to get the crud up. It looks like a major hassle of a job anyway - the entire 700 square feet of floor would have to be scraped and so on. I'm just wondering if anybody has any suggestions.
My suggestion was to put a skim coat of concrete down over it, thus hiding it and making a new surface. I'm just wondering if this is recommended - putting concrete down over the old adhesive. Its not like its a thick layer of it there - its just all over the place in patches rubbery stuff, but very flat. I dont have that much experience with concrete and I'd have to get a good idea how to screet it. But also I just was wondering what type of concrete to use and if it would bond well with the patches of old adhesive there.

Will

Hello Will:
I would rent a carpet and vinyl removal machine, which has a scraper blade that oscilates and pushes the material ahead of it. You may have to go over it more than once but it is sure easier to hold the handlebar and let the motor do the work. Keep the blade sharp with a file or angle grinder.
I can't recommend a concrete covering; concrete needst to be 2" thick to prevent cracking, the epoxy floor patch products need to be applied to a clean floor.
Let us know how it turns out, you certainly have our sympathy.
Glenn

there may be stuff to get it up depending on what color it is.

Also it may have asbestos fibers in it

He's talking about the color of the adhesive Will.

oh the color is like a kind of cream color or off white. its just adhesive that is over pretty much the whole floor in adhesive swirls.

actually shes just thinking of going with an indoor/outdoor carpet down there, which would be the easiest solution.

Back