Interior Barn Door Timber?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobstar

Reaction score
I would like to make some bi-parting barn doors to divide these rooms. This is an example of the type of barn doors I want, but in a whitewash. I have looked at pine which would be cheap and easy to finish but Im not sure if pine will be heavy / sound proofing enough. The rooms are quite loud with TVs in both of them so although it doesnt have to be sound proofed, I would like to quieten the noise. I was considering getting second hand recycled timber but if something goes wrong it would be hard to find more to match. A seconds place suggested oregon timber. Would pine be sufficient or should I lookat hardwood?

photo.jpg

door.jpg

Welcome to the site.These doors will never close tight as the stand away from the wall. You will get some deflection of the noise but I don't think the material used will make much difference.

Thank you, that is the single handed most useful tip I've been given. I wasn't getting much useful information from another site.

Back