Deck railing and stairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing the railing and stairs around a brick and cement landing outside a side door. I have attached a few pictures with the areas I have questions about. First, what is the best way to attach the rail to the house through vinyl siding. Second, how best to anchor the posts to the cement landing? Lastly, how best to anchor the post for the top step to the cement landing. Here are a few pictures. Please ask whatever questions you have.

image-1587173880.jpg

image-3032424567.jpg

image-3880785348.jpg

image-688891576.jpg

A pipe J block can be worked into the siding, filled with a block so a post can go against the house.
If possible re-use brackets in the concrete.

pipe thing.jpg

I just realized I also wanted to include this picture from my last post. There is a screw or bolt through this into the cement landing. I think there must be a better way when I rebuild this. Any suggestions?

jmc0319 said:
I just realized I also wanted to include this picture from my last post. There is a screw or bolt through this into the cement landing. I think there must be a better way when I rebuild this. Any suggestions?

Here's the picture.

image-1791215486.jpg

You may a peice of wood stuck in a hole to take the screw, but there isn't much better than a hilti ancher in concrete. The end expands as you tighten the nut.

hilti bolt.jpg

Great thanks. I assume you can get them at the big box stores ?

For treated lumber, they have to be hot dipped galvinized. Most stores have a good variety of sizes.
Size and placement are important, you don't want to break concrete.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back