Help!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nepps22

Reaction score
I noticed something on my basement floor... whatever it is seems to be coming from a small hole in my basement wall. The substance is running directly into the sump pump and is only in the one spot in the basement. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It has the consistancy and looks like motor oil. We live in the city and therefor are on the city's septic system. The house was built in the early 1900's. I have no idea what to do or even who to call to check this out so any help would be greatly appreciated!

leak.jpg

The only sure way to know is to take a sample to a lab and have it tested. Any chance you have an oil tank barried in the yard.

I bought the house 4 years ago and there was no sign of this problem until recently... I suppose it is possible that there is an old tank buried in the yard

If it is oil, you would think that you would see a slick on top of the water, which I can't see. You could look for that.
I would take a sample for testing and see what it is.

Call the City HAZMAT or Sewage Department ... This could be seepage from a toxic source ... and they will do the analysis for free.

Hehehehe :D

Yep your right Villa, then they will want you to dig up the yard and pay for mitigation of the problem. I think the scariest thing you can hear is:

"I am from the government and I am here to help." :rolleyes:

Yep your right Villa, then they will want you to dig up the yard and pay for mitigation of the problem. I think the scariest thing you can hear is:

"I am from the government and I am here to help." :rolleyes:

Amen, best to get a sample tested your self:hide:

When talking to a newbie, I try to take the least diffficult direction. Yes, government might go absolutely nutts over this. Does Nepps want to pay for a private analysis? Fine. Go for it. Then what?? Maybe we have to wait for the results to come back ...

When talking to a newbie, I try to take the least diffficult direction. Yes, government might go absolutely nutts over this. Does Nepps want to pay for a private analysis? Fine. Go for it. Then what?? Maybe we have to wait for the results to come back ...

From having been on the "Government side" as a fire officer, I know how these things can get crazy. You end up with files of paperwork and silliness over things that don't amount to much. Hopefully the whole thing will be minor.

Back